Friday, November 6, 2009

Mommy's Instincts

Oh boy! Where do I begin?! Last night as I walked through the door, I see Anderson cooking dinner so I begin to get the girls settled. We had an evaluation with our therapist which was pretty thorough but we were done in no time! Usually my routine is to get the girls changed into their pj's and take them a shower if its necessary, get their bags ready for day care, etc. Once they are settled I get ready to go to the gym. This has been our routine for almost a year. However, last night I had a feeling that it was best to stay home and just skip the gym for the night

Around 7ish, Anderson's mom shows up. She usually does not arrive around that time but it was good to see her. She went into the kitchen and Anderson offered her some honey candy (which by the way looks exactly like a mint ball). She is holding Adryana and Adryana is at that stage that she wants everything anyone is eating. My mother's instinct came into play and I told Anderson make sure you guys do not give Adryana that candy. So I go into the living room and next thing you know my daughter is choking. I thought I was going to collapse. Anderson grabbed Nana from his mother and began doing what we were taught in the NICU ( since we had to be certified for CPR before we could take the girls home) and turned her over and did his magic. My daughter couldn't cry or anything bc the candy was lodged in her throat. But once I heard a cry I knew she was ok. That's usually lesson 101, if your child is not crying its bc they have no open airway. Crying is good for their lungs, believe it or not. All my Adryana could do was cling on to me. She didn't want grandma nor Daddy but mommy. Why is that? Not just with my daughter but with all babies. The first person they run to is mommy. I know what it is! Its bc momma makes all the pain go away. Momma is what makes bad days seem ok. Momma is the one that makes the cloudy days seem sunny. Poppa is the one who protects and momma nurtures!

I know maybe I shouldn't be writing this but honestly I've never experienced such an incident in where I had no control. I just froze! All I could say was "you guys didn't listen to me". People should always respect a mother's wishes. If your mom tells you no its for a reason. And for me to think my mom was just raining on my parade sometimes, but it was bc she knew. Mothers have that special sense. I call it the most valuable sense. The sense when you know something is wrong with your child. The feeling of knowing something COULD go wrong.

Its def no one's fault but its def a lesson learned! I thank God it all turned out ok. But it just made me hold my daughters a little tighter bc things can wrong in a split second. So there you go, not all these blogs will be happy! But they will be honest! Please hold your children a little tighter today and make sure mother's wishes are ALWAYS respected.


xoxo,

Jacci

1 comment: